Laurie's Reviews > I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Sep 04, 07

With many of my favorite books I can still remember the person who put a copy in my hands. Matilda was given to me for my 8th birthday by my stepdad, the title Pride and Prejudice scribbled on a piece of paper and handed to me by my young (must've been straight out of college) 7th grade English teacher-- she gave me the paper and sent me to the library to find it, and I still remember sitting in that classroom taking in the opening page with grand delight ....

I hadn't ever heard of I Capture the Castle until Stephanie handed me a yellowed beaten up well loved copy. To keep! (At least, I think it was for keeps-- was it Stephanie?! I still have it if you need it back!) I was about to leave for France. I saved the book for the trip, started it in Bretagne in a little loft bedroom and couldn't put it down. Read it late at night when everyone else was sleeping, sometimes suck outside and read it with a pack of Camel oranges. The story is lovely, haunting, hilarious. One of the great poor-girls-coming-of-age stories.... And any girl who has a tendency to romanticize the world in bizarre ways will find a kindred spirit in Cassandra. I know I did.
100 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Capture the Castle.

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Stephanie Hey Laurie,

YES, I Capture the Castle is my gift to you...I wanted to pass on my copy to someone who would appreciate it. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Reading your review, I'm hankering to grab a pack of Camels and go back to it myself. Hope you're loving school!

message 5: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san I've never read the book, sounds good though. GREAT reveiw :)

message 4: by Felicity (new) - added it

Felicity Hey! I love how you have Matilda and P&P down as key literature points in your life, as they were in mine too! I was 6 when I read Matilda and decided I wanted to be just like her and read the entire library! And I was eight when I started P&P and it's a book that has forever stayed in my heart! :)

message 3: by Steph (new) - added it

Steph Great review! Pride and prejudice and Matilda were definitely two pivotal books for me too!

message 2: by Roshan (new)

Roshan You said matilda and pride....and i was sure i can trust your taste. I have seen the movie and have forgotten the story, so i will definitely read this one.

message 1: by Nicky (new) - added it

Nicky I just randomly came across this review and you're definitely a kindred spirit. I love the way you explain your reading past. This made me happy :)