Nancy's Reviews > Moby-Dick

Moby-Dick by Herman Melville

Feb 10, 14

Read in February, 2014

I finally finished Moby-Dick and definitely enjoyed many aspects of the journey. The first segment, even before one meets Captain Ahab, is funny, intriguing, and illustrative of social stereotypes and racial prejudice of the period. The reader and crew do not meet Captain Ahab until once at sea and his obsession with conquering his conqueror, Moby-Dick, dominates the most interesting highlights as the bk progresses. While I could have done with about half the amount of granular, encyclopedic description of varied whale types, their teeth, their diet, their blubber, and further fewer lines on other parts of daily sea-life duties, I still enjoyed finally unearthing for myself the details from this great read and its heavy influence on American society. Even within one week of completing it, I happened upon Moby-Dick references in an article and a separate one in a book, all alluding to a watery world, or a great feat of endurance, or the ominous plight of an obsessed man chasing his doom. I do recommend the book to anyone, if only to better understand how heavily our culture has relied on Captain Ahab as a cautionary tale and a warning against living with, or losing years of your life to, an enduring thirst for vengeance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Dick.

02/10 marked as: read