Tammy's Reviews > Holidays Are Hell

Holidays Are Hell by Kim Harrison

I picked this up because of the backstory for both Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series and Vicki Pettersson's Zodiac series. I liked three of the four stories in this book, which is one more than I expected to like. I would have kept it for the Harrison and Pettersson stories alone, and the Liu story made me want to check out her books.

"Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel" Kim Harrison--It's Rachel Morgan as a teenager. Seriously, how was I not going to love this? We get some time with her mother, the brother we've never seen in the books, and we get some fantastic backstory about the father she loved so much. It's typical Rachel, running her mouth and pushing herself to do things people think she can't do, and winning in the end.

"Run, Run, Rudolph" Lynsay Sands--Hah, hah, comical shapeshifting romance complete with girl who turns into reindeer and often ends up naked. I understand there's more of this world and you need to understand I'm going to pass on ever reading it. Blech.

"Six" Marjorie M. Liu--This story took me by surprise. I figured I would loathe this super-agent Six and all her super-agent numbered pals. It turned out that the writing was good, the characters were entertaining, and the world was well-crafted. Normally I get all eyerolly over romance, especially in the short-story, fall in love in less than a day, format, but everything else in the story made that seem acceptable.

"The Harvest" Vicki Pettersson--This is a Zoe Archer story, and it's Zoe working to save not only her daughter but her granddaughter. I like Zoe, what little we see of her through Joanna and Warren's memories, and I like this Zoe even more. I read this story immediately prior to reading Book 3 of the Zodiac series and all through book 3 I flashed back to this story; it gave me a huge insight into many of the characters: Zoe, Warren, and the Tulpa. Solid story, excellent history for this world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holidays Are Hell.