Leslie's Reviews > Out of Captivity: Surviving 1,967 Days in the Colombian Jungle

Out of Captivity by Marc Gonsalves

Oct 02, 11

bookshelves: memoirs
Read from September 27 to October 01, 2011

An interesting and informative book about and by three men held in the Columbian Jungle for over five years by the terrorist organinazation FARC. I had never even heard of FARC, but they are holding hundred of hostages in the jungles of Columbia, fighting a war against the government that has lasted over forty years.

The three men were subcontractors, working for the US government, trying to destroy the cocaine that FARC produces and exports to finance their operations. The plane had engine failure and five men were captured by FARC. Two were executed right away. The others were held in many different locations all over Columbia.

The most interesting part of the book for me was the interpersonal relations between the three men, them and their guards, and them and the other hostages they came in contact with. Also, they opened up about what was going on inside from despair to wild hopes that got dashed again and again, to really facing who they were and what they had done with their lives and what they wanted to do different if they did ever get out of the jungle.

The end is so sudden and happy it made me cry. I also feel like crying when I think of the hundreds of people still held by FARC, some for many more years than these three men.

This book is really worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Captivity.