Abby's Reviews > Shift

Shift by Charlotte Agell

Jun 01, 09

bookshelves: beachreads
Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Eek! Just realized I read but never reviewed Agell's debut YA book.

Similar to The Giver and World War Z, Shift imagines the northeastern US as governed by right-wing fundamentalists (think Mike Huckabee/Sarah Palin), and where Massachusetts has been blown off the face of the map by suspected terrorists residing in the wild and backwards state of Maine. (Side note: as a born and bred Mainer, it gave me a great thrill to know that MA was nuked and ME was full of the crazies. LOVED it!)

ANYways, the hero embarks on a precipitous adventure with his psychic little sister and a hot vet tech, ostensibly to rescue a penguin, but they end up embroiled in the last ditch efforts of the resistance movement fighting to end the religious dictatorship. All this is happening in the few days and hours before Shift, when the magnetic poles of the earth are forecasted to realign, causing who knows how much geologic and ecologic mayhem. The president and his cronies have also "predicted" that this will be the Apocalypse and are doing everything in their power to ensure that the Apocalypse happens.

Of course, the hero and friends are caught in the middle of this and are the only people who can stop the Apocalypse from happening.

This is a swift little book and a laudable first YA novel from Agell. Sometimes I was left wondering about the exact motivation of the hero's choices, but I think that was due to the brevity of the book. Which, in the end, is a good thing - to want more from the characters, the story and the world. The world that Agell built was nightmarishly fascinating and I wished I could have learned more about it.

A good, solid, quick read -- especially of interest to anyone from Maine. ::wink::
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Too funny! Do the NHers join up w/the Mainers? Now THAT would be interesting...Green party meets NRA cardholders meets Libertarians...

Abby That would be awesome! Unfortunately I don't really remember NH being mentioned... perhaps the southern part went the way of MA and the northern part went with ME?