Michelle's Reviews > To Have or to Be? The Nature of the Psyche

To Have or to Be? The Nature of the Psyche by Erich Fromm

May 26, 09

Read in May, 2009

This book continued my reading into ecology economics. Fromm is a psychoanalyst, genius, German philosopher that promotes radical humanism in response to the dead, capitalistic society that exists in Western countries. The main tenet of the book is the differences between the "having" and "being" modes. The having mode supports greed, envy and an consumption based economy that likens development with growth. He argues that the unlimited growth of economies has failed to produce the greatest good for the greatest number of people in the world. He argues for radical humanism and a focus on "Being" that values human life outside of a capitalistic framework, original thought, creativity and freedom. I enjoy his descriptions of Marxism, bureaucracy, capitalistic religion and semantics. A good companion read to this book is EF Schumacher's "Small is Beautiful, economics as if people mattered." Fromm has also encouraged me to read " Meister Eckhart: A Modern Translation," "The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness, and "The Heart of Buddhist Meditation."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Have or to Be? The Nature of the Psyche.