Emily's Reviews > Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

Dec 28, 09

Read in May, 2009

In my next life, i do believe I will take Steinbeck as my mistress(?)

Late in his writing, Steinbeck road-trips across America in his trusty truck/camper ("Rocinante"--brilliant) with his trusty shmup Charly the french poodle from France in order to "rediscover" America. Very different from traditional Steinbeck, this novella still diverges into lovely tangents about his observations of people and place, behavior and mannerisms, local color and speech, animals--think of these in relation to Theodor Adorno (if you're a fellow theory geek).

"For it is not true that an uneventful time in the past is remembered as fast. On the contrary, it takes the time-stones of events to give a memory past dimension. Eventlessness collapses time."

A perfect read as I am about to endure 24 hours on the road across America as I pack up my belongings and move from SLC to Memphis into a world (the South) i have never been to, with no plan other than have an adventure while figuring it out as i go.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels with Charley.

Quotes Emily Liked

John Steinbeck
“I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found.”
John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

John Steinbeck
“I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I've lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment.”
John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America