George's Reviews > Carnacki, the Ghost Finder

Carnacki, the Ghost Finder by William Hope Hodgson

May 31, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fiction, and
Read in May, 2009

Some of these short stories are good, others are truly awful. The story about the giant pig is magnificent in its badness, and single-handedly dropped the rating from three stars to two. Hodgson's style is clunky; his tales begin very suddenly; and he is always interrupting the story to ask the reader if he/she understands what he's saying, which is annoying. However, there's some interesting stuff happening here, especially in the story about the ghost horse. I wouldn't be surprised if Hodgson read Freud or Jung, BTW.

One final note: I read this book because Carnacki is in LOEG: Century 1910 and I wanted to get a better idea of the character. Unfortunately Alan Moore has misinterpreted Carnacki, who does NOT have dreams or visions, and is most definitely not a psychic, magician or sorcerer. Carnacki may use the the tools of the magician's trade, but he is a rationalist. He is always trying to explain the reason behind the manifestation of that giant hog; and anyway, half of the "ghosts" in these stories are actually human tricksters.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carnacki, the Ghost Finder.

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick My own take is that Moore uses the literary characters however he wants, and frequently makes wild reinventions of them, so his version of Carnacki is not really much worse. I think that Moore wanted a magical character, and thought this one would fit, even though it requires major revisions to the character as published.