Lynne's Reviews > HEKATE: Keys to the Crossroads - A collection of personal essays, invocations, rituals, recipes and artwork from modern Witches, Priestesses and ... Goddess of Witchcraft, Magick and Sorcery.

HEKATE by Sorita D'este

Mar 11, 10

bookshelves: religion, history
Read from March 09 to 11, 2010

To be honest, I almost passed this book by because of its home-spun appearance. I was afraid that it was just another pseudo-spiritual, misinformed New Age compiliation by people who don't really know the subject. I went ahead and bought it anyway, and I am so glad that I did! Do not let the apparent simplicty of this book fool you. Although written in everyday language, the content is among the best I've seen on the subject of Hekate. It is well-researched, and avoids (and actually debunks, much to my delight) many of the most common misconceptions of this amazing deity that even many pagans are guilty of perpetuating.

My only peeve is with Part II, the personal essay portion of the book. I loved hearing the multiplicty of voices and perspectives, but it's obvious that the essays were published exactly as they were submitted; there are numerous typos, grammatical errors and other issues that could easily have been remedied with even a simple editing job. These errors detract from what are otherwise very engaging pieces.

This charming and informative book should be essential reading for anyone interested in Hekate. As a scholar of religion with a personal connection to Hekate, I've already done much research on Her and therefore did not really learn anything "new" in Part I ("Hekate's History"), but the rest of the book definitely gave me new things to ponder. It was spiritually uplifting and thought-provoking...which is, I suppose, the point. Although academically sound, this is much more than a book for academics. It is a book for practitioners, and anyone interested in developing a relationship with Hekate would be wise to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read HEKATE.

03/09/2010 page 33