Lindsay's Reviews > Hearts in Atlantis

May 19, 09

bookshelves: feels-like-summer
Recommended to Lindsay by: Ben Harris
Read in May, 2009

There are actually five interconnected stories here of decreasing length and quality. The first story, “Low Men in Yellow Coats,” is the longest (and the one on which the movie [which I haven’t seen:] was apparently based). It is also the best (independently I would give it a 4). I tend to enjoy child protagonists and coming-of-age stories, add in a supernatural element and it’s pretty much a recipe for A Story Lindsay Will Like as long as it’s decently written, so this worked for me. Next comes the title story (independent rating: 3.5), which, with a college freshman protagonist, is also a coming-of-age story, not as interesting as “Low Men” but still a good read. The third story, “Blind Willie” (2), was interesting but not particularly enjoyable. I was curious about the main character and his reasons for doing what he did, but had no sympathy for him. “Why We’re In Vietnam” (2) was kind of boring until there was a random WTF moment that is never really explained. And then “Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling” isn’t so much a story on its own, but a short epilogue to all of the others, wrapping everything up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hearts in Atlantis.