Crystal's Reviews > All I Want is Everything

May 19, 2009

bookshelves: read-may-2009, reviewed
Read in May, 2009

From Amazon.com:

S and B and J and N are back, along with A, D, V, and assorted other rich, catty Manhattan teenagers in this third installment of the Gossip Girl series. An omniscient and anonymous narrator keeps track of the scene in www.gossipgirl.net (now an actual site), where the rumors fly, backs are stabbed, and celebrity sightings are dutifully reported. Serena (S) and Blair (B) are best friends again, shoring each other up as Blair faces life without her ex, Nate, who has hooked up with a sweet, busty 14-year-old, and Serena fends off advances from drop-dead-gorgeous rock star, Flow. Life’s rough. Meanwhile, Vanessa and Dan play the will-he/won’t-he game of sex, and Aaron tries to thwart his own crush on new stepsister Blair.

They’re the teens you love to hate, and yet it’s not all trash. Beneath the designer name-obsessed veneer and the nasty soap opera quality of Gossip Girl novels, there’s plenty that’s true and real for any teenager. Angst, creative passion, love, college applications, drinking, smoking, sex…sure, these kids are obnoxious and spoiled, but their core issues are not a million miles away from every other teen’s. And you know you love it. (Ages 14 and older) --Emilie Coulter

Ah - the Gossip Girls - for some reason these books are really good to me. They are quick, easy, enthralling reads. It's like a teenage soap opera and I am hooked. I love the characters and the reange of characters that Ms. von Ziegesar uses. You have the wealthy elite, and the middle class, you have the stoner boy, the poetry boy, the vegan boy and the metro boy. The girls are all different too, but with typical and non-typical teenage problems.

Book number 3 helped me to get to know the characters better and be more intrigued by the story. I will definitely be reading these through to the end and look forward to each one I read.

For parents of teenagers - realize this is what is out there right now - there is sex, some language, drinking and drug use. I think of reading these as a way of educating myself for when my boys are older so I know what is out there. I think it's typical of the tv shows out there for teenagers now - it's just a little more advanced than the 90210 that I grew up with :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Want is Everything.