Michael's Reviews > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Apr 12, 10

bookshelves: 2010, 1001-before-you-die, classics
Read from February 20 to April 12, 2010

Books are like people. The way they affect you or not depends largely on who you are and what you’ve experienced. I wish I hadn’t read the reviews prior to reading this. Some of them are fanatical. “It changed their life,” or “it’s one of the greatest books ever written.” “He’s the greatest writer there ever was,” etc.

Um…I don’t get it. The dude definitely knew people and why they do what they do. He’s not unique though. I’d like to have a conversation and know why it had such a profound effect on these people.

There isn’t anything going on in the novel that isn’t going on in my head on a daily basis aside from the murder of course. I’m a thinker, and much of my adult life has been very difficult, so I’ve had lots of pain and suffering and time to ponder the meaning of life and all that it entails. I think most people just go through their life like a drone never seeing the wonder in the simple things. Just living their lives without thinking. Maybe that’s why this book is so profound for them. It makes them think. It temporarily knocks them out of their slumber. I don’t know.

I’d like to give it 3.5, but I’ll go 4.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crime and Punishment.