Tina's Reviews > A Storm of Swords

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Jun 23, 09

bookshelves: fiction
Read in June, 2009

This one was definitely back up to par with the first book in the series -- in fact, I think it was even better. Martin has some tricks up his sleeve, and he does some really neat things with the multiple POV narration. Very enjoyable and satisfying. This is how fantasy should be!

My main worry now is how he's going to sustain this throughout the next four books (only one of which is actually written and published so far) without stuff getting tired. I'm also really hoping that he has some idea of where this is going in the end. So far stuff is connecting in neat, interesting ways, but I've had my heart broken too many times by epic series that were set up by authors who clearly had no inkling of how to wrap up, and so appeared to pull the endings out of their asses. (Ahem, Dark Tower, Harry Potter, His Dark Materials.) Please don't let this be you, George R.R. Martin!

But again: If you're into fantasy, I highly recommend this series. The books are absorbing and go surprisingly fast considering their enormous length. Some people complain about too many arbitrary details, and while I have little patience for pointless, lengthy description (Ahem, Stephen King, Charles Dickens), I think Martin describes all the right things. Not every single detail advances the plot, obviously, but they all either build character or scene or contribute to the richness of this giant world he has created.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Storm of Swords.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tasha How do you like this series? It's been recommended to me so many times and I've never picked it up. I heard it goes rotten a few books in, but the first half or so of the series is great.

Tina I'm only about 90 pages in to this book (which is about 1000 pages long), but I'm enjoying it so far, and I really loved the first two books (the first more than the second, but still, I thought both were great).

There is definitely some Othering that goes on in the series, and there's a LOT of rape/brutality towards women (it's not condoned, but it's there). In terms of characters/world/plot, however, I find it really interesting and well written. It has a very fleshed out world, and comes at the story from a mythological, historical, political, and character-based perspective. It is total pleasure reading for me -- even though the books are long, they never feel burdensome.