Gina's Reviews > Black Out

Black Out by Lisa Unger

Nov 11, 09

bookshelves: own, buddy-read, psycological-thriller, suspense
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

Sometimes it's hard to write a review of a novel that confused me half of the time and didn't appeal to me. I like to browse through others' reviews, to see what they think of it, to see if we share the same opinion. One such Goodreads member, hllf , was spot-on and exactly how I felt.

The character development was lousy. And the only one I truly liked was Victory. At least she was as sweet as she was honest and innocent!

Not one character was as they seemed - I've never seen so much deception and lying; it was ridiculous!

The book jumps so much from past to present, with no prior warning, you have no choice to pay absolute attention or you become hopelessly lost. I ended up having to start the book again so that I could get a sense of what the author had in mind. I've read other authors that do this same strategy - depending on how it's written, most of the time it doesn't bother me. This one, however, did not ease from past to present - it jarred you there and leaves you feeling out of sorts.

Written in the first person, I've read other authors that do that as well, and it doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me is when the author takes the liberty of using that first person narrative to describe feelings and scenes of episodes past - and the character wasn't even there! It's as if she's using speculation of how she assumes the scene played out, as if recounting it as a bystander - and absurd doesn't come close to how it leaves the reader feeling!

Most of the suspense is cheesy at best ... with scenes playing out making you think "oh, here we go!", just to be told it's a dream, nothing but the imagination of the character running away with her. One word... Ugh.

I did not enjoy this story, and the only reason it's getting 3 stars from me, IMHO, is because of the cast of characters who aren't what they seem at first. Those twists are what made the novel bearable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Out.

06/23/2009 page 154