Aquit's Reviews > Highland Warrior

Highland Warrior by Monica McCarty

May 18, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-reviewed, books-from-library, waste-of-time-and-tree, twit-tstl-argh, historical-romance, twit-too-stubborn-need-to-be-hang, author-to-be-avoided, ending-tie-up-with-a-fake-bow, guy-i-would-bang-him-and-leave-em, guy-is-so-not-hero-material, guy-too-scare-to-commit, happiness-is-forced-excessively, lacking-the-chemistry-so-dead, no-connection-between-h-and-h, no-redemption-for-these-two, sex-used-as-tool-to-apologize, solution-to-problems-is-angry-sex, trust-is-a-issue, twit-cant-seem-to-buy-a-brain, twit-is-dishonest-not-likable, twit-is-useless-twit, twit-too-angry-to-be-like, twit-wanna-rip-her-hair-out, twit-you-wanna-gag, twit-you-wanna-smack-and-shake, unoriginal-are-you-serious-ending, guy-is-bland-irked-me-the-wrong-way, im-gonna-slap-some-people, selfishness-is-not-attractive, stupid-fights-make-my-brain-bleed, trust-me-so-i-can-betray-you, twit-need-a-backbone-not-a-dick
Read in May, 2009

SPOILERS AHEAD

I really anticipated reading "Highland Warrior" from the reviews I got. But after reading it lemme tell you one thing: DO NOT FREAKING READ THIS STUPID BOOK AND IF YOU DO THEN YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Oh, I admit the beginning of the book draws you in but then it reaches the middle of the book and everything fell apart.

The female lead Caitrina is an irritating, untrusting, heartless little b***h. Throughout the entire book I wanted to shake her until her head pop off and stuff a sword down her throat. I know, kinky. She lives in this glass house full of tinted roses and can see no fault with her father and brothers whereas she nit-picks everything about Jaime. Typical spoil bratty princess who can’t do anything for herself and believe me—she plays her part well.

The male lead is Jaime who is supposedly to be her clan’s enemy and Caitrina has been taught at a young age to hate him but she can’t help but be drawn to Jaime oh stuff a tissue with it little girl. Jaime is one of those guys you like to have sex with but at the same time you probably don't want to live with him. EVER. Sure at first he’s honorable, has a knight-in-shining-armor feel to him, desirable, and is terribly steamily sexy but then you realize he’s too stupid and too infuriating to be a hero—falling in love with a stupid woman only makes him as desirable as a worm on a gold stick.

These two lovey dovies—hint the sarcasm—probably do deserve each other. They distrusted each other, can't seem to have a decent conversation without fighting and getting their panties in a bunch, and only needed each other for sex. In the book Caitrina's family is dead because of Jaime’s brother and she is "force" to marry Jaime and they can’t help it but use angry sex to get it across that they love each other, yada yada yada. The plot was so boring and predictable that it had me wanting to read my math textbook.

It amused me that McCarty made them confess that they love each other while they were fighting over not trusting each other. Oh, that's funny. I thought "Love means trust. You can't have one without the other." (Jaime, pg 294)

Wow Jaime, you're so smart. If only you and your little girl listen to your advice. No wait, you’re too busy ripping each other’s clothes off and whining about how you can’t trust anyone.You can tell that TRUST is a major issue in "Highland Warrior"

Even at the end Caitrina and Jaime fights for the LONGEST time then they have sex and everything in the world is just peachy. Oh yeah, Caitrina said she'll try her hardest to trust Jaime's and not jump to conclusion and vice versa. Yay! I can see why the love each other! NOT. Keyword: TRY. Ah, hello Ms. Author, aren’t the two lovers suppose to trust each other already?

Blah, waste of two hours I want back with a vengeance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highland Warrior.

03/17/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Jey (new) - rated it 1 star

Jey LOL. Just what I wanted to write. Damn, what a waste of time. I specially like your tags. ;) :D

Aquit Jey wrote: "LOL. Just what I wanted to write. Damn, what a waste of time. I specially like your tags. ;) :D"

Tell me about it! It's been about 3 years but that darn books still have the power to make me soooo mad! :P

message 3: by Jey (new) - rated it 1 star

Jey Oh, books like these will make me mad even YEARS down the line. And for you it took merely two hours. For me it was three hours of a peaceful Friday evening. Needless to say, it was ruined. Boy, was I mad!!

message 4: by Jami (new)

Jami I loved your review. I just finished this last night and while I really enjoyed the first half, after they got married I wanted to club both of them over the head.

message 5: by LL (new) - rated it 2 stars

LL I was doing okay with the so-so plot and characters until Caitrina said she loved him but STILL WOULDN'T TELL HIM THE TRUTH. Really? Sigh.

message 6: by Jiji (new)

Jiji I haven't read the book and probably won't because I don't like dishonesty in H an h if there's no good reason. I am lol; I just loved all the tags!