Stephanie's Reviews > Then There Were Five

Then There Were Five by Elizabeth Enright

Sep 04, 07

bookshelves: favorites, goodgirls
Recommended for: people who love children's series
Read in January, 2006

I was lucky enough to score a first edition of this book at The Chatham Bookseller in Madison, NJ, and it was probably the best 5 bucks I ever spent. This was another one of those recommendations from the Betsy-Tacy ListServ that I had always meant to check out. When I finally sat down to read it, I was not disappointed. Enright depicts a family filled with 4 artistic children. There's something old-fashioned, yet sophisticated about this book. The kids follow their dreams (painting, writing, dancing) as earnestly as any adult would, but they interact like kids. If you like the movie MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS, you will probably enjoy the Melendy family books.

Curiously, I'm not such a fan of Enright's other children's books, GONE-AWAY LAKE and THIMBLE SUMMER, but I do love her short stories for adults. She's a great writer that has been sadly overlooked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then There Were Five.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Elizabeth Enright
“The summer,' Randy explained. 'I'm going to appreciate it. I'm going to walk in the woods noticing everything, and ride my bike on all the roads I never explored. I'm going to fill a pillow with ladies' tobacco so I can smell it in January and remember about August. I'm going to dry a big bunch of pennyroyal so I can break pieces off all winter and think of summer. I'm going to look at everything, and smell everything, and listen to everything so I'll never forget --”
Elizabeth Enright, Then There Were Five
tags: summer

Elizabeth Enright
“Did you know that a bee dies after he stings you? And that there's a star called Aldebaran? And that around the tenth of August, any year, you can look up in the sky ant night and see dozens and dozens of shooting stars?”
Elizabeth Enright, Then There Were Five