Inder's Reviews > Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet

Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis

Apr 20, 08

bookshelves: health, cooking, green
Read in April, 2008

Lots of good information about nutrition, but nothing earth-shattering. I guess I was hoping for more recipes? Especially since I don't see myself becoming 100% vegan anytime soon, but I am trying to decrease the amount of dairy and eggs in my diet substantially. Well, part of my problem is that I was raised around vegetarians and vegans, so most of this information is a bit redundant for me. I recommend John Robbin's books instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Vegan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Happyreader (new)

Happyreader While I have the utmost respect for John Robbins' books (heck The Food Revolution made me vegan for a few years), he's definately not a nutritionist. These authors are. For instance, when I was vegan (and not yet a dietitian), my iron levels plummeted (and my cholesterol soared -- bad combination of no dietary cholesterol and birth control pills). Lower bioavailability of minerals is something that needs to be planned for in a plant-based diet, which this book discusses but John Robbins does not.

message 2: by Inder (last edited Apr 20, 2008 02:08PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Inder Well, you're the expert! :-) Seriously, I did think the chapters on nutrition were excellent, especially with regard to pregnant and lactating mothers, and children and teenagers. This is important information for vegans to know - especially if you become vegan after years of being an omnivore. But the delivery is a bit dry.

What about John Robbins' book, Healthy at 100? I thought there was some good nutritional information in that one. But I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Okay, I should've said, I recommend reading Robbins' books first, for inspiration, and then using this book as a reference, later, in combination with a couple of good vegan cookbooks.

message 3: by Happyreader (last edited Apr 20, 2008 03:14PM) (new)

Happyreader Ha!! I give you dry, I so give you dry. Real nutrition is hardly a page turner. That's why I think a lot of quack diet books sell. They're filled with intriguing conspiracy theories and accusations to spice things up.

When I gave up my vegan ways in 2004, I slacked off on my reading of vegetarian non-cookbooks (still a huge fan of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks) so I didn't know that John Robbins had a relatively new book.

I just saw your review of it. I haven't met Ocean but I met John at a vegan conference at Northwestern University in 2001. He came across as a sincerely nice and generous person. I also met the authors of this book at a dietetic convention in 2002 and they too are extremely nice people. I don't know if it's because they're vegetarian or Canadian, both groups notoriously nice.

OK, I putting his book on my list. May have to give up the chickens again.