Carmyn's Reviews > In Search of Mockingbird

In Search of Mockingbird by Loretta Ellsworth

Jun 06, 09

bookshelves: young-adult-juvenile, read-in-2009, books-i-own
Read in May, 2009

Well, I didn't love this book even though there is an allusion to one of my favorites in the title.

Erin, a MN teen, is struggling with her identity and her father's remarriage. She longs to know her mother and more about her. All she has is a tattered copy of To Kill a Mockingbird with her mother's notes in the margin. She's read that book so many times and it makes her feel closer to her mom. For her birthday her father gives Erin, her mother's diary and Erin is thrilled and hurt that he'd waited so long to share it.

She loves her family, she bears her father no ill will in his upcoming marriage, but she feels like she needs to get away and so she boards a bus for Alabama to meet Harper Lee.

The story reads like Erin is far younger than 16. For some reason I felt like I was reading about a 12 year old. I'm not sure why. Something about her thought processes or your feelings about writing and her mother seemed distinctly younger than the character was meant to be.

On the bus, Erin meets several kind seatmates, strangers who each impact her as much as she impacts them. The heart of the story takes place on the eternal bus ride.

The book is nice, yet not very memorable. Perhaps others will like it more than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Search of Mockingbird.