Stephanie's Reviews > I Capture the Castle

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

Sep 04, 2007

bookshelves: favorites, greatfnwriting, goodgirls, mycuppa
Recommended for: anyone who wants to be British
Read in January, 2001

This book came along at a point in my life when I thought I would never believe in magic again. Boy, was I wrong. Members of the Betsy-Tacy ListServ had been extolling its virtues for years...it was out-of-print and people kept wondering why. Then, when I saw it went back into print, I decided to check it out. I fell in love with I CAPTURE THE CASTLE at the very first sentence, and then quickly went on to read all of Dodie Smith's work, which is uniformly wonderful. This book made me remember what it was like to be young and believe in romance, beauty, poetry, and all the things that make life worth living. Whenever I feel jaded, I pick it up again and my cynicism drops away like an old moth-eaten cloak.

I especially recommend this book for Anglophiles. If you love I CAPTURE THE CASTLE as much as I do, be sure to check out the movie A CANTERBURY TALE by Michael Powell. I suspect you'll like it equally well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Capture the Castle.

Quotes Stephanie Liked

Dodie Smith
“He stood staring into the wood for a minute, then said: "What is it about the English countryside — why is the beauty so much more than visual? Why does it touch one so?"

He sounded faintly sad. Perhaps he finds beauty saddening — I do myself sometimes. Once when I was quite little I asked father why this was and he explained that it was due to our knowledge of beauty's evanescence, which reminds us that we ourselves shall die. Then he said I was probably too young to understand him; but I understood perfectly.”

Dodie Smith
“Only the margin left to write on now. I love you, I love you, I love you.”

Dodie Smith
“Why is summer mist romantic and autumn mist just sad?”