Lynne's Reviews > The Gap Into Ruin: This Day All Gods Die

bookshelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Recommended to Lynne by: found it at Science Fiction Book club
Recommended for: mature adults
Read in May, 1997, read count: 1

Describe any Donaldson novel/series in a paragraph. I dare you. I'm not going to review each book; it was too long ago that I read them. However: If you like your sci-fi straight up, no water or ice, this series will satisfy like 21-year-old Glenlivet single-malt.

Donaldson is an opera enthusiast, Wagner a particular favorite, and the Ring cycle is the inspiration for the story in this five-book series. As usual, the story hasn't been culled from other sci-fi and hasn't been imitated by others. Donaldson remains true to his personal artistic vision and watches lesser authors rake up the bucks.

I appreciate Donaldson's realistic treatment of the human condition. We're here, we do our best, we screw up, we have to redeem ourselves, life leaves scars. Sometimes the only triumph is personal, sometimes you save the world. The personal triumph, in Donaldson's worlds, never takes a backseat to the world-saving.

The entire series is raw and unflinching. Rape, child abuse, politics, corruption. The payoff is worth it. The first book was the most difficult. Donaldson doesn't make his characters easy to like.

Also, read Donaldson's intro at the beginning of the first book. He does a fantastic job explaining his process.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gap Into Ruin.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Suzana Vuksanovic I think your review triumphed mine. What you said is exactly what I would have said.

Lynne Suzana wrote: "I think your review triumphed mine. What you said is exactly what I would have said."

Thank you Suzana! It must have been the Glenlivet.