Karina's Reviews > WWW: Wake

WWW by Robert J. Sawyer

Oct 10, 09

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in October, 2009

This was an awesome book about the World Wide Web becoming self-aware, alive, and learning with the help of a girl (a mathematical genius, blind from birth, who gained sight with help of new technology). And for once things actually go right in this book, and we don't create a monster (I was worried!)

I liked the fact that the blind girl had a LiveJournal - that's familiar to me. Although I almost never fill in all those fields she does (current mood, location, music), but like her I f-lock entries I don't want just anyone to see :)

And there was a little "fact" mentioned in the book that I just had to go and check afterwards:

Caitlin's eyes went wide as she recognized the lyrics to a song the words to which oh-so-famously hadn't fallen into public domain until the end of 2008: "Happy birthday to us, happy birthday to us, happy birthday, dear you and me, happy birthday to us."

I knew Happy Birthday song is copyrighted, but I haven't heard it coming into the public domain at the end of 2008... So I looked around and I found this research paper: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cf...

it is almost certainly no longer under copyright, due to a lack of evidence about who wrote the words; defective copyright notice; and a failure to file a proper renewal application.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WWW.