Ann's Reviews > Stella, Star of the Sea

May 18, 09

bookshelves: childrens-stories, picture-books
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Read in May, 2009, read count: 1

This is a colorful, vibrantly illustrated book about a brother and sister and their trip to the beach. Older sister Stella has been to the ocean before, but her younger brother, Sam, never has. Sam is constantly asking Stella "why, what and how." Stella kindly answers all the questions (albeit, creatively and not factually, per say, but it's charming reading "her" answers).

Kids should delight at the vivid illustrations and will probably relate well to a kid who asks a lot of questions.

My only complaints are that: I felt the reason Sam didn't want to initially go in the water wasn't exactly explained. Was he afraid of the water? Did he need his questions answered to be unafraid? Was he too curious about other stuff? And also, I felt sometimes the text didn't match the illustrations - like the text was placed one picture too early or too late.
These are pretty nit-picky things though, and really the book is charming! And I love the brother sister relationship - that is truly special!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stella, Star of the Sea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathryn Yeah, I wasn't too sure why Sam wasn't wanting to go in the water, either. I kind of interpreted it that he was afraid and so wanted his questions answered so he could better understand what he was getting himself into... But, there are probably lots of other interpretations, too! :-)

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann No, that's how I interpreted it, too. So, maybe the author did a better job than I thought, if that's what we both got out of it;)