Lindsey's Reviews > The Lagoon

The Lagoon by Lilli Carré

May 18, 2009

bookshelves: want-a-copy-of-my-own, read-in-2009, graphic-novels

I have been exposed to Lilli Carre's wonderful work through several graphic anthologies but this is the first longer piece I'd had the chance to read in its entirety, although "reading" is a term I use loosely. Surprisingly, Carre relies as heavily on illustrated sound created by the characters (from grandfathers to cats to sea creatures) as she does on image alone. I loved the simplicity and mystery of this short tale, but it was over before I even really got much of a chance to relish it, and it could have been so much more detailed, more fleshed out, more intense... I just wanted more and more and more from her. Her drawing style is great, and these characters were so immediately endearing I could have stayed with them for pages and pages. There really is no limit to where Carre could have gone with this piece but instead she chose to limit it to something very brief. I wouldn't question that motive, but I can't help but crave some hefty, three-hundred page edition, not because I need explanation for everything, but because it would allow me more time with these wonderful characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lagoon.