Geraint's Reviews > The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson

2192915
Aug 14, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, humour

I have to say, I love this book. It's less an autobiography about Bill and his early years so much as it is a reflection of the early lives of little boys everywhere. There's very little that you can't relate to in here, and it's all written with the same dry, insightful humour that you see in a lot of Bryson's books. Touchingly, you can also feel the genuine affection he has for his family and his childhood, and it really does strike chords of memory as I read it.

The Thunderbolt kid is a strange inclusion, though I think it's simply a reflection of the imagination and mischief present in most little boys as they grow up. It certainly doesn't harm the book, which is a little gem. I'd recommend this to guys without a shadow of a doubt, and girls too so long as they keep in mind it is written from a lads perspective; there'll be a little less for them to relate to here, but not much less.

Perfect, easy, uplifting reading. Give it a shot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.