Books Ring Mah Bell's Reviews > The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Jun 11, 09

liked it
Read in May, 2009

Considering I grew up on Stephen King novels, I'm not sure why I had such a hard time with the sci-fi/time travel aspect of this book. It was hard for me to follow. Could be I'm ADD and in need of medication.

There's no denying it's a clever story. While I had a difficult time with the time travel, I still kept reading because I wanted to know what happened. The ending pissed me off, yet I restrained myself from throwing the book. (yay me! Where are those meds?)

The thing that really creeped me out was how the grown up Henry visited the child Clare. It reeked of pedophile. I'll blame that on Chris Hansen and all those episodes of To Catch a Predator I have watched. Thanks for ruining a love story, Hansen! I bet those pervs wish they could time travel right out of that room when Hansen walks in. "Those handcuffs and rubbers in the trunk? I wasn't gonna do nothin'. I was just going to warn her about what can happen."

Well. I digress. (MEDS!)

Anyway. The book. give it a shot. you may enjoy it.
14 likes · flag

Sera One of my faves; I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did :)

Books Ring Mah Bell It took me about 40 pages to get into it... but so far, I'm enjoying it.

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim I enjoyed this... interested in how the movie will play out...

Sera Me, too, Kim. I love Rachel McAdams so there's a good start there.

james i'm about 170 pages in. good read.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Didn't like it too much, Bells?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

3 stars means "I liked it."

message 8: by Mattomic (new)

Mattomic Does it have any poop scenes in it?!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, Mattomic, the title character goes back in time to visit historical dumps...

(Sorry, Montambeau.)

message 10: by Mattomic (new)

Mattomic And toilet/plumbing technologies?! Damn, I'm ALL OVER IT!

Books Ring Mah Bell Don't do it, Mattomic! No poop for you!

I wish you could take the "what kind of bowel movement are you" quiz David created on Facebook. You'd LOVE IT!

Kim... I liked it. kind of. I'm still thinking about it and how I really want to rate it...

Sarah Well, he couldn't really control where/when he was going, could he? And he made sure nothing ever happened between them until she was 18. I see your point, but I thought it was kind of sweet. I wish I could have seen my husband when he was growing up. Not in an icky way, just to know what he was like.

I hated the ending, too.

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim If my husband visited me as a child, I doubt I'd be married to him right now. It just wouldn't seem right.

That part threw me too, Bells... I tried not to think too much about it, though.

Sarah The part that weirded me out was the part with the 2 15-year-old Henrys doing the deed with each other. Does that count as masturbation? Or as gay sex? Or both? I don't know. It was odd.

Books Ring Mah Bell I'm glad I'm not alone in my weirdedoutedness, Kim.

And Sarah, I have no idea what was going on there! At first I read it as he was masturbating. Then I read it again, thinking, gay sex. Then I read it again. I think I decided it was masturbation. Then again, if you are masturbating, you are loving the same sex, so, does that make masturbation gay? What if you are pleasuring yourself to materials featuring the opposite sex? Straight? hmm. Banging your time travel self is homosexual... or is it? Really, that's wayyyy too much to think about. and I have thought about that too much.

Randy Well Bell,

I just started this at work, which i shouldn't confess but it reads well and quickly so maybe I'll be done by weekend. I can always count on you for laughs...I don't think masterbation is sexual just a means to an end...you must seek serious meds, immediately!

Books Ring Mah Bell Dare I ask what it is, if not a means to an end.

I took my Paxil today!

Randy Pun intended...just trying to get a rise from ya...will debate with you when finished reading...thanks

message 19: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Books Ring My Bell wrote: "I'm glad I'm not alone in my weirdedoutedness, Kim.

I kind of passed that part by, humming and looking the other way.

message 20: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy I would just like to jump in here randomly from the Bookface nebula to affirm that if you go back in time and have sex with yourself, it is indeed gay sex, and not onanism.

At least that has always been true in my experience.

message 21: by Anna (last edited Sep 18, 2010 07:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Okay.

Well, personally, I absolutely loved the book.

However, it took me a while to get into it. At first it was only okay, but then after a while, I really started to get hooked with the characters. I understand how Henry visiting Clare as a child could make him seem like pedophile, however, he was visiting his wife as a child. He's a time traveler (obviously), and he simply couldn't help where he was going. I think it's sweet that he visited her. Also, he was very respectful of Clare. He didn't sleep with her until she was 18, and she decided that.

Now, for the ending.
It killed me. I bawled when I read Henry's last moment, and Clare and Alba with him...and Clare calling after him. Finally after she has him, he dies.

For the sex scenes:

I thought that there were a lot of them, and there could be less, but I think that just showed how bonded they were. Not only were they bonded emotionally, but physically too.

All in all, I would give the book a 4.5/5. It was a good sad book.