Anna's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Jun 06, 2015

bookshelves: war, historical-fiction
Read in June, 2015 , read count: 2

This may sound like some cheesy movie ad, but I laughed, I cried, I generally loved this book. At first I wasn't sure; I found the letter format distracting. I couldn't keep track of who was who and how they were linked to each other. But then the story of the formation of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society came out and I was hooked. The characters were so charming and full of personality. The members of the society seemed to leap to life in my mind. I really don't think I can say too much more about why I was so touched by this book without giving something a way and I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone. So I'll leave this by saying that if you haven't read this, you should run, not walk, straight to your nearest bookshop or library and get this book.

Lesley How are you liking it?

Anna I am liking it a lot, but I have to take it in small doses as it keeps making me cry.

Lesley Have you read 84, Charing Cross Rd by Helene Hanff? Similiar book but excellent as well. A quick afternoon read but prepare for tears too.

Anna Haven't read that one yet. I'll check it out. Thanks for the rec.