Christina's Reviews > Jeg var en virkelig god mor før jeg fik børn

Jeg var en virkelig god mor før jeg fik børn by Trisha Ashworth

Jun 09, 09

bookshelves: 2009, non-fiction, parenting
Recommended to Christina by: Hanne Sandbeck
Recommended for: mothers to be/new mothers.
Read in June, 2009, read count: 1

Being a mother has ups and downs - and during one of these downs where I just felt exhausted and that I was a lousy mom, I sat down one evening and read this book. And it made me stop and think about my life and my family's life. Our daughter is still just a baby, 9 months old, but right now we're laying the foundation for her and the way our family is going to be - and we need to learn to prioritise. Learn to live in the moment and enjoy each step - childhood is a journey, not a race, and each step is unique and important.

This book is about learning to see your expectations for what they are - most of them created by society and the other mothers you know or see in the stores - and most of them working together to make you miserable. You have to step back and look at the bigger picture and see what's important for you - and maybe that means your child will not get a home-cooked meal every day and you will not have the perfect home. But maybe, instead, you will have the time and energy to sit down on the floor and play and really listen to what your child says.

It's not easy being a mom - and if you knew what it really takes - then you would think twice before having children. But some of the things you feel guilty about, are just silly. Every mom has insecurities and things they don't know enough about - but every child just need love and care and to know that mom and dad are there and support them, no matter what. And if you're caught up in running from A to B and being the perfect mom who can handle work, housework, bake your own bread, take care of the garden and the pets and your man, you will need this book - or one similar - to sit down and take a deep breath and start to think about what would make your life easier and if this would give you more time to what's truly important, being there for your kids.

This book is so easy to read that I just went through it all in one sitting - and that's maybe it's only major flaw. It's hard to digest the actually rather useful information in it because it's presented so fluffy and easily read. But it made me sit down and think - and talk to my boyfriend - about how life is at the moment and that maybe we need to change things and I will definitely try to work towards getting our lives to work better together and thereby creating a more loving and relaxed nest for our girl to grow up in. So 3 stars because it was too easy a read - but otherwise, it's a 4 star book - and maybe it should get 5 stars because of it's being so accessible - how many mothers have the time to just sit down and read... Anyway, it makes you think about your role as a mother and how that's only a part of who you are, so therefore it's recommended to every mom.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jeg var en virkelig god mor før jeg fik børn.

06/09/2009 page 89
51.74% "Being a mother is hard right now so I need something to put it in perspective and help me cope with it. Hopefully this will do just that."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Henrik (new)

Henrik Great review, Christina. Also interesting the various "star rating elements" you have. Really.