Joanie's Reviews > Anne of the Island

Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery

Aug 29, 14

bookshelves: 2008, own, children-lit, canadian

ALL THE PROPOSALS.

Boy, everyone is getting married. This one really felt different from the last one, with these changes in everyone's lives. Anne seeing all her friends getting hitched makes me feel for her because I can understand that just checking facebook nowadays. But enough. All I want to be is at college and Anne's BFF as I read this. Her time at Redmond sounds just darling, with his studies but mostly her social calendar and dear old Phil providing a lot of entertainment. I can't get over at her living with her friends at the dreamiest place possible. Sigh.

Then all those men! I cackled over a lot of the proposals but Gil's first one will always make my heart ache a bit, even if I already know things will work out between these two silly soulmates. It lasted surprisingly short for something that hurts so much. In my memory it was a longer scene when I read it years back, and happened much earlier, although that may be the adaptation that's twisted events a bit. I also can't not think of Roy Gardner as anything but James Marsden (yes, of The Notebook in terms of being hopeless in his riches and good looks), by the way.

I adore this series. This one feels a lot more mature and Anne's coming into her own as a young woman wrestling with her romantic feelings. After this one I pretty much know nothing about what's going to happen (!), but I sure hope we get a wedding chapter of some sort between Anne and Gil. PLEASE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne of the Island.

08/18 marked as: currently-reading
08/22 page 112
46.0% "Ruby. I never did notice her much, mostly it was Jane in the group outside of Anne and Diana, but what a chapter."
08/22 page 185
76.0% "my heart is aching after that failed proposal."
08/22 marked as: read