Terri Ann's Reviews > The Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University

The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose

May 26, 09

bookshelves: essays, reviewed
Read in May, 2009

I read this book in just over a day. Granted I'm sick and don't want to do much more, but I just ate it up. I am enjoying experiential journalism in the AJ Jacobs vein. Roose was his intern durin Jacobs' year of living biblically. From that experience he decided to try it himself. He decided, as a student of one of the most liberal universities in America, Brown, to attend Liberty University, one of the most conservative, for a semester.

As with all good books, I cried at one point - when Jerry Falwell dies. Yeah, you read that right. I didn't cry because he died, for sure, but Roose and his friend's experience was moving.

I appreciated that he went in to the project with an open mind. He wanted to get to know the people of evangelical christianity and get beyond the stereotypes. He found real people that weren't cookie-cutter mini-Jerry's, but instead a wide variety of people with a wide variety of beliefs, albeit ranging more ultra-conservative to moderate conservative. I also liked that he was willing to explore his own spiritual roots (Quaker) and growth as part of the process.

Again, read this book! Open your own mind to learning about people you consider "other".
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unlikely Disciple.