becky's Reviews > Simply Magic

Simply Magic by Mary Balogh

May 17, 09

Read in May, 2009

** spoiler alert ** I think I like Balogh's heroines - they're a bit prissy and they annoy me with their "I love him but I can't tell him" nonsense, but when it comes down to it, they are thoroughly modern women who embrace what life gives them - both the good and the bad. In this particular book, I love that the main female character took her opportunity to be with the main male character (yes, like that) because she knew she'd never get another chance at such passion.

This book - the third in the series (though I read it second) - tells the story of another teacher from Bath, Susanna and her relationship with Peter, yet another Viscount that a lowly teacher has no business going after. But as life would have it, Susanna and Peter actually know each other from when they were kids. It turns out that Susanna's father was the secretary to Peter's best friend's father, so she's really not as far off the social strata as she would have Peter believe.

Of course, she starts out hating him. She recognizes his name and knows that because of some deep dark secret from her past she should have nothing to do with him, but there's a problem - Peter is nice; he's likable. And so, she likes him ... and then she loves him. All this while Peter's dismayed because he's actually found a female friend and as we all know, men & women weren't supposed to be just friends back in the good old days.

After much back & forth and lots of missed opportunities on both sides, Susanna and Peter find their way back to one another and get married, another happy ending.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simply Magic.