Michael's Reviews > The Forgery of Venus

The Forgery of Venus by Michael Gruber

M_50x66
May 17, 09

Read in May, 2009

I figure I have to read any book that Ali gives five stars.

Based on the little I read about it, I was expecting a very different book. Words like "thriller", "suspense", and "mystery" are bandied about on the Amazon review snippets, but they don't really apply.

This is more of a rumination on authenticity and identity, especially as they relate to art.

I think I would've enjoyed it more if I'd known anything at all about visual art. Maybe someday someone will write a book about forging a lost Pavement album. I'll be all over that one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgery of Venus.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ali I didn't read m/any reviews before I read it, so I didn't have any preconceptions of it being action-y, but I do think it managed to be suspenseful.

I actually liked the discussions of how one determines reality (and whether that's even an important determination), and I'm always a sucker for a good art theft or forgery novel (one of the hazards of being the daughter of art dealers).

Like I said, though, the book hit me at just the right time and under other circumstances I'd probably only give it four stars. But I do really like his writing style, and I had a hard time putting it down.

Michael Hey - I ain't blaming you! It was a pretty good read. I will certainly be reading more of your highly rated art forgery novels in the future.