Tony's Reviews > A Time to Kill

A Time to Kill by John Grisham

May 17, 2009

John Grisham- A Time to Kill (Island Books 1992) 4.75 Stars

When I first bought this book I was really excited. I had seen the movie years ago and I had always known that it was a book I just never had the chance to read it. Now that I have read A Time to Kill I am very glad that I have, it did not disappoint. John Grisham is a famous author with a whole lot of story-telling skill. Brigance, his main character, is a small town criminal justice defence lawyer who is thrown the case of his life, when the Hailey family is wrought by the brutal rape of their daughter Tonya by two drunken white men. The Hailey family is black so they suspect that little will be done. Carl Lee Hailey, Tonya’s father, decides to take justice into his won hands, killing the rapists. Brigance is hired by Carl Lee to defend him. In the controversial case many emotions are involved throughout the state. The blacks want to see Carl Lee freed and some of the whites want to see him, and anyone involved in the trial dead, especially the KKK. Brigance will have to use every trick in the book in order to make his case for Carl Lee.
Grisham has a way of using the emotions of the reader to bring them into his novels. Either way you side on the controversial issue you still want to find out how it ends, although if you’ve seen the movie it kind of spoils things. His characters have a depth that helps the reader connect and sympathise. The plot is harrowing at some points and nail biting at others. I also love that he doesn’t include a lot of smut in his novels as many authors feel that they must.
The only complaint I have is that at times Grisham can get a little too wordy. What he could describe in a paragraph he describes in a page. Of course this is only a minor detail, hence the great rating.
Overall I really enjoyed A Time to Kill. It was an enjoyable read that captivated my attention right from the opening page. I recommend this to any and all readers, but especially those who love courtroom drama.

Tony Peters
Kids on a Case: The Case of the Ten Grand Kidnapping
www.tonypeters.webs.com
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Time to Kill.