Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp

Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp by Mercer Mayer

Aug 05, 10

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, fairy-folktales, groups-buddies, reviewed
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Read on August 05, 2010

This is a delightful tale that has a strong female protagonist, Liza, and has a lot of humor. My only quibble is why did Liza’s mother send her into known danger time and time again?! But each time Liza is so intelligent and creative, she gets the upper hand. Liza is a wonderful character and children will enjoy her immensely, I think.

I love the little poems within the story, and I am wondering if they’re from traditional songs or stories; I’ll have to research that.

The foods mentioned sounded delicious.

The illustrations are wonderful: colorful and lush and detailed, and scary and humorous.

My edition has a lovely note to the reader from the author/illustrator Mercer Mayer. He thanks the reader for reading his book, mentions he’s written/illustrated over 200 books, and writes a bit about his growing up years and current life.

This book had been on my to-read shelf, but I read it now because it's one of the North American folk tales for this month's picture books club at the Children's Books group.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Liza Lou and the Yeller Belly Swamp.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Aug 09, 2010 09:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Vegan High praise! Yes, I loved it, and I'm grateful to the picture books club for motivating me to read it.

Crystal Marcos I wish I would have read the addition you read. It would have been interesting to read what Mercer Mayer's note said.

Lisa Vegan Crystal wrote: "I wish I would have read the addition you read. It would have been interesting to read what Mercer Mayer's note said."

Crystal, It was great. If the book wasn't back at the library I'd try to post a message with quote or at least paraphrasing what he said. Perhaps you could see if your library has any copies of this edition.