Liz (Consumed by Books)'s Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore

This is actually my first graphic novel and my first Alan Moore, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure that it would be my thing, but I thought it was really interesting.

When I picked this book up, I was expecting something that was all action, but I definitely felt like there was a good plotline as well. Moore is an excellent storyteller, and I was impressed by how nicely tied together everything was. I also enjoyed the incorporation a couple of different literary characters in the story and the illustrations were amazing.

This is a review where it's really hard to discuss writing, because there isn't tons of it. I was recently talking to a friend about graphic novels, and we both agreed that they're a challenging medium because it's hard to decided how long to linger on one page. I really enjoyed looking at the pictures as I read, but it was especially enjoyable to go back after I finished the story and analyzed it, because then I could look at how intricate details created foreshadowing or helped set the tone of the novel.

Graphic novels are not my area of expertise, but The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen has made me want to further explore them. I was left satisfied by this story, and mystified by how much it made me think. I can't wait to delve further into the graphic novel genre!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky Great review... I just snagged a copy of Watchmen on the swap for free! :D

message 2: by J A (new) - rated it 4 stars

J A Glad to know someone else has the same issue with how long to spend on each panel or page.