Jan C's Reviews > Zelda

Zelda by Nancy Milford

May 17, 09

bookshelves: biography, writing
Read in January, 1971

I think I read this when I was recuperating from an automobile accident and had beaucoup time on my hands.

It was very enjoyable and I think got me caught up in getting books on Fitzgerald, the Murphys, Dorothy Parker, etc., that whole crowd in other words.

She did have mental problems and if you look at her entire life, you can see them showing up here and there all along the way.

I believe she wrote one book and I have heard it questioned, either in print or interviews laterly, whether she was actually talented in this regard. And whether that is the reason she went to the Sanatarium. Because Scott couldn't stand to compete with her. But I don't buy that argument. She may have been talented but was she as talented as he? Or were people only interested in what she had written because of who she was married to?

She was a madcap woman from the twenties who jumped into fountains and acted zany. Others acted zany, too, but they were never deemed wacky enough to be locked up. They had madcap moments, she just went mad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zelda.