Krissy's Reviews > Untimely Meditations

Untimely Meditations by Friedrich Nietzsche

May 17, 09

bookshelves: to-read
Recommended to Krissy by: Michael Pollan, Botany of Desire

Pollan pulls this quote from "On the Uses and Disadvantages of History for Life":
"Consider the cattle, grazing as they pass you by. They do not know what is meant by yesterday or today, they leap about, eat, rest, digest, leap about again, and so from morn till night and from day to day, fettered to the moment and its pleasure or displeasure, and thus neither melancholy nor bored. [...:] A human being may well ask an animal: 'Why do you not speak to me of your happiness but only stand and gaze at me?' The animal would like to answer, and say, 'The reason is I always forget what I was going to say' - but then he forgot this answer too, and stayed silent."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Untimely Meditations.

Quotes Krissy Liked

Friedrich Nietzsche
“Consider the cattle, grazing as they pass you by. They do not know what is meant by yesterday or today, they leap about, eat, rest, digest, leap about again, and so from morn till night and from day to day, fettered to the moment and its pleasure or displeasure, and thus neither melancholy nor bored. [...] A human being may well ask an animal: 'Why do you not speak to me of your happiness but only stand and gaze at me?' The animal would like to answer, and say, 'The reason is I always forget what I was going to say' - but then he forgot this answer too, and stayed silent.”
Friedrich Nietzsche, Untimely Meditations