michelle's Reviews > Alphabet Juice: The Energies, Gists, and Spirits of Letters, Words, and Combinations Thereof; Their Roots, Bones, Innards, Piths, Pips, and Secret Parts, Tinctures, Tonics, and Essences; With Examples of Their Usage Foul and Savory

Alphabet Juice by Roy Blount Jr.

May 16, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, books-i-own
Read in May, 2009

LOVE. a few highlights, below:

1. "(Did you know that Hells Angels refer to themselves as 'AJ' because it sounds so much like 'HA'?)" [9:]
2. "I thought I had found a flaw in AHD, where it says 'abracadabra' originally 'was a magic word, the letters of which were arranged in an inverted pyramid'.... [visual representation of how this works:]... Am I relieved that this book didn't turn, just now, into a flock of pigeons." [13-14:]
3. "We got where we were supposed to. He was good at what he did. But I hadn't realized that anybody's dyslexia extended as far as pie." [138:]
4. "Aristotle maintained that a falling body accelerated because it became more jubilant as it found itself nearer home." [227:]
5. "Many a poet these days will call 'pucker' and 'pocket' a rhyme. Will in fact prefer that kind of rhyme to 'skillet' and 'chill it'. Me, I'm just a versifier, but 'pucker' and 'pocket' put me off. 'Skillet' and 'chill it' get me to thinking. I bring them together just because of the sound, but then it hits me that they both relate to heat:
If you're going to tell me to 'Chill,' it
Would help if you'd put down that skillet." [255:]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alphabet Juice.

03/13 marked as: read