Shannon's Reviews > The Hunt Club

The Hunt Club by Bret Lott

Jun 03, 09

Recommended to Shannon by: Aimee Guest
Read in June, 2009

I got this book from the library after a friend read a book of short stories compiled by Lott. I started the short story collection and Lott's introduction was well-written, but I found, as always, that I just couldn't stick with the short stories. Instead, I thought I'd give one of Lott's novels a try. The quotes on the back of this book from the likes of Wally Lamb and Chris Bohjalian were encouraging since I have read and enjoyed books by both of these authors.

But I didn't enjoy The Hunt Club very much. I think the underlying reason was the disconnect between the style of writing and the plot. The plot urged me forward, but the writing asked me to take my time and contemplate. I normally enjoy rich writing, that has depth, description and sets a mood. Lott's writing did all of this, but it felt out of place in a mystery that made me want to know the secrets as quickly as possible.

I did enjoy the ending, which brought an unexpected twist that connected past and present, myth and reality, art and business. But it was a long wait for me and the payoff wasn't worth it.

If you're a fan of literary mysteries, give this book a try. I think from now on, I'll stick to one or the other - a straight up mystery or a novel that submerges and enfolds me into its language.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunt Club.