Sharon's Reviews > The Devil's Children

Nov 01, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya
Read from October 26 to 31, 2011

There's something about a British SF/fantasy book that necessitates a lot of walking. Maybe it's because England is so small, so any reader is probably at least somewhat familiar with the geography? Anyway, lots of walking here.

I think my favorite element of this book is the Sikh culture. The premise is that, suddenly, everyone in the UK becomes terrified, baffled, repulsed by technology. In the short term, people storm out of cities and suffer from epidemics. Nicky is separated from her family and takes up with a group of Sikhs. They're not affected by the Change, but they're in danger from the people who are reduced to feudalism and fear.

There is a very British walking journey and a lot of the good details of turning an abandoned farm into a homestead and making peace with the local villagers. I really like Peter Dickinson, and my favorite part of any end-of-civilization story is the stockpiling, and I've always found Sikh culture fascinating (proud, loyal warriors devoted to family and community), so there is a lot to love about this book. It was a bit slow, which is why it got three stars instead of four, but I'm definitely reading the next one, though there won't be any Sikhs in it.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Children.