Becky's Reviews > No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt: The Home Front in World War II

No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin

May 16, 2009

Read in June, 2009

I'm reminded of the saying, "If you want to learn something, read non-fiction." I am learning the answers to questions I didn't know I had. "Exactly how did the internment of the Japanese get started? When were land mines invented? What was Eleanor Roosevelt really like?" It was around this time that Executive Order 8802 came about, with the wording we are all so used to: discrimination is banned on grounds of "race, color, creed, or national origin." The national origin part was added because the Poles were having some trouble in Buffalo. So - read this book and learn more about the country and about WWII. The book isn't a page-turner but it is readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Ordinary Time.

02/15/2016 marked as: read

Charles I read it shortly after it was published and it is still on my shelf to be re-read. Oh, the swift chariot of time rides faster and faster!

Charles Also, if you enjoy Kearns Goodwin, you might enjoy A Team of Rivals, her book about Lincoln's campaign for President and the cabinet he filled with the men he defeated for the Republican nomination. His main rival was Seward whom he made Sec'y of State. I wonder if that is what inspired Obama to make Clinton his Sec'y of State?

Becky Charles wrote: "Also, if you enjoy Kearns Goodwin, you might enjoy A Team of Rivals, her book about Lincoln's campaign for President and the cabinet he filled with the men he defeated for the Republican nomination..."

Mike read A Team of Rivals and loved it. I do remember hearing that Obama used that book a guide.

Janice Becky, I enjoyed your brief thoughts about the book. So often our fellow readers review and summarize the book needlessly. I enjoy the exchange of how the reader has been impacted or how the reader's eyes or mind have been opened. Thanks for your thoughts! Janice