John's Reviews > You Shall Know Our Velocity!

You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers

Sep 07, 07

Read in September, 2007

I'm a little torn here, because I feel like I was supposed to like this book, so part of me wants to pretend that I didn't like it. It just seems so blatantly directed at exactly who I am, a late 20's person confused about what direction to take in life. It's like a movie where you know they are trying to make you cry, and you do cry, and then feel bad about it because you know that they played you like a fiddle.
But as much as I'd like to resist it, I am a fiddle and this book played me. I identified very strongly with these characters, and this blind desire to keep moving, and have only important, true, enlightening experiences. This idea that every moment that you arent experiencing something new you are wasting your life....I know that isn't true, but I feel it too sometimes. And this book is a perfect summary and explanation of that feeling.
Plus it really goes to the core of how it feels to be a relatively priviledged person today, who knows that he should be trying to help less fortunate people, but has absolutely no idea how to really go about doing that. The idea of randomly handing money to people has a certain romantic charm, and Mr. Eggers walks a nice line between acknowledging that yes, it can be romantic and charming, and it can also be incredibly awkward and wrong.
A great book. Great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Shall Know Our Velocity!.

Joey Coleman I couldn´t have put it better myself.

Allison agreed

message 3: by Rose (new)

Rose I liked your description of how you felt about the book. It expressed what I had been trying to say a lot more clumsily in a review of a different book here, and I've quoted you in it. Hope that's okay!

John Sure, no problem!

message 5: by Rhonda Rae (new)

Rhonda Rae Baker Brilliant

Lexi Absolutely agree. I love it when someone else can express what's going on in my brain much better than I can!

message 7: by Donovan (new) - added it