Karschtl's Reviews > Roses Are Red

Roses Are Red by James Patterson

Sep 04, 07

bookshelves: part_of_series, darkish, read-in-2003
Read in July, 2003

James Patterson likes to title his Alex-Cross-books with nursery rhymes. For this book (and it's sequel) he borrowed from the following poem.
"Roses are red
Violets are blue
Sugar is sweet
And so are you"

My first encounter with Alex Cross and Patterson was with "Kiss the Girls", after that his books were on my auto-buy-list. No matter what the exact content, an Alex Cross thriller can only be good.

Patterson's trick is to write only very very short chapters, sometimes only three pages. And ending every chapter with a small cliffhanger, so that you think - alright, I'm just gonna read the next page. Which leads into reading the whole chapter, and then the next, and the next.

In this case Alex Cross has to catch the Mastermind, who robs banks by taking the family of the bank's director hostage. Two times Cross is on the wrong track, his girlfriend leaves him and his new affair also ends unfortunate. And only in the LAST SENTENCE of the book it is revealed to the reader who the true culprit is!! And it is revealed ONLY to the reader, Alex Cross is still unaware of it and - without a moment of rest - has to go on hunting in the next book. And I had to read that right away, something I normally don't do (reading two books by the same author and/or with similar content one after the other).

A real page-turner, and that not only because of the trick with the short chapters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roses Are Red.