Laura's Reviews > The Children's Book

The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt

Jun 15, 09

bookshelves: 2009-mt-bookpile, old-reads
Read in June, 2009

Before I go any further, I should say that I love Byatt's work; when I read about this book, I sent to Canada to get a copy as the US edition hadn't yet been released.

This is a Family Saga, only covering many intertwined families and friends rather than many generations. The detail of British history (the Victorian Era, Fabianism, pottery, children's books, etc.) is Byatt's exacting best, giving the reader places to pause as the plot moves forward. The characters are all complex; some you start out liking and end up realizing that they're not worthy of that, while some are the reverse. Only a few remain steady, and those are generally minor characters. Ending with WWI, many of the boys we first meet die (and almost all the deaths are described) while the girls are changed almost beyond recognition.

As with Babel Tower, there's another story (ok, in this case, several stories) intertwined with the Real Story. Here, these are the children's stories Olive writes, the Children's Books. They seemed nicer than the BT tale, although each had a kernel of nasty inside. I also appreciated that the sex was implied or gently described rather than reaching BT's graphic quality.

I know some people have been scarred by reading Byatt. This is the book for those people to give her another try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children's Book.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (last edited Jun 16, 2009 03:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Monica Edinger Thanks! I read that guardian piece and thought it was a bit silly (as we all probably have situations were we hate books for extenuating circumstances). I'm going to be in Vancouver next month (to go on an Alaskan cruise--- yippy!) and am going to try to remember to find a bookstore and buy it. Sounds perfect vacation reading for me (as I tend to read long involved adult books when away --- Middlesex was perfect, for example).

Anne I was so angry that all of the boys died. I felt cheated of my 650 pages when I was reading about all of their deaths--especially the deaths of the characters who were born in the first 100 pages and then never mentioned again (Harry? Robin Oakeshott?). Oh well.