Christina's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

May 18, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, 2009-reads
Read in May, 2009

Aislinn has the Sight. She can see faeries where no one else can, a gift which has been passed down from mother to daughter in her family. Taught by her Grams that faeries are terrifying, vicious creatures, she must live by three strict rules.

Rule 3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.
Rule 2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.
Rule 1: Don't ever attract their attention.

This has always worked fine for Aislin... that is, until she attracts the Summer King's attention, and he won't leave her alone until he has her as his Summer Queen.

As a hilarious, lighthearted read, I recommend it. I really did enjoy reading this. It's a VERY guilty pleasure, though. Don't expect brilliant writing (it's clear this novel is her first), an intricate plot or well thought-out characters. They're Disney cut-outs, to be honest. The evil queen, the doting boyfriend, the harpies... the list can go on.

There is some RIDICULOUSLY cheesy dialogue too, which had me in stitches. "You taste like sunshine!" Errrr, what?

And the Summer Girls! Thank GOD Aislinn called them out as a harem because THAT'S WHAT THEY WERE. I thought that was hilarious, too. Harems disguised as "summery entertainment" = awesome.

Honestly, I was willing to give this 4 stars, because it had me hooked from page 1 to 332. It's just that the ending was an absolute disappointment, hence the downgrade. I may have wanted to throw this book against a wall at times (thanks to Keenan's corny word vomit), but put simply, I was too hooked to do so. So... read it. Guilty pleasure is pleasurable, after all :D
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.

05/15/2009 page 40
12.08% "omg I'm in love with Seth."