Janice CA's Reviews > Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travels with Charley.

Quotes Janice CA Liked

John Steinbeck
“I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found.”

John Steinbeck
“What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.”

John Steinbeck
“When I was very young and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would this itch. When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age.In middle age I was assured greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked. Four hoarse blasts of a ships's whistle still raise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage. In other words, once a bum always a bum. I fear this disease incurable. I set this matter down not to instruct others but to inform myself....A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we not take a trip; a trip takes us.”