Stacie's Reviews > In The Kitchen

In The Kitchen by Monica Ali

May 24, 09

bookshelves: i-own, abandoned

Goodreads win!

It is official...I give up. I tried. I kept reading, but I can't go on. I feel bad...I won this. I am a "first reader" and am starting the reviews. But, sadly, I can't give it resounding applause as a book. It felt like it was going nowhere and I got nowhere VERY slowly.

It should be a telling sign for me (who fancies herself a fast reader) that it took 4 days to get only 77 pages in. I just didn't care...I didn't know what I was supposed to care about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In The Kitchen.

05/18/2009 page 77
17.82% "I am having a difficult time getting into this book. (there seems to be a theme with many of the books I am reading lately.)"
05/20/2009 page 103
23.84% "No. I haven't given up on it just yet. Just reading other books inbetween chapters."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kirsty Hope this works out better for you than it did for me!

Kirsty Guess it didn't!

Stacie No. It really didn't. :)

message 4: by Kieffala (new)

Kieffala Yeah, it's really hard for me also to abandon a book. I try to go 100 pages (depending on the book length), and if it still hasn't hooked me, I'm out.

Stacie I hate giving up on books and feel like I have done that a lot this last year. But, I just have TOO MANY books I want to read to get laden down with one just because I feel like I should read finish it.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori Eh. You cant force a relationship with a book. Good for you for being strong and giving it a shot, but BETTER for you for letting it go.

message 7: by Kieffala (new)

Kieffala Exactly! It's taken me a LONG time to realize and accept that. I must sometimes just let a book go because there are too many others out there SO much more worthy! Kind of like friends. Sometimes you must just let the unhealthy, unhelpful ones go.

Kirsty Hehe, very true!

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori ((too bad I cant take my own advice tho....))

message 10: by Charity (new)

Charity Hahaha! Guess what I just saw...the popular shelves for this book. Check it:

gave-up (on 3 people's shelves)
couldn-t-finish (on 3 people's shelves)
unfinished (on 3 people's shelves)
didn-t-finish (on 3 people's shelves)
abandoned (on 2 people's shelves)

Very telling. :-)

It also landed on shelves called:
not-into-the-story
yawn-couldnt-even-finish
not-for-me-started-stopped
ew
i-give-up,

Seems you are most definitely NOT alone! :-)

Stacie I just saw all these comments...

La Buffett - I won it on GR.

Charity, it is so nice to know I am not alone in having a hard time sticking to this book!

message 12: by Hannah Louise (new)

Hannah Louise Enanoria Apparently, I've read 40 pages already. And I realized it's really hard to grasp. I felt the story is going nowhere.

Stacie Exactly! Again, it is nice to feel a little validated in my inability to care or finish this book.

message 14: by Hannah Louise (last edited Feb 23, 2012 06:02AM) (new)

Hannah Louise Enanoria Yes. It's sad to say but I regret buying this book. It's the first book I bought in 2012.

Stacie Reading in 2012 can only get better!

Annemarie Ijkema the same for me. I loved her novel, brick lane, but all her other books :-(((