X's Reviews > Owlknight

Owlknight by Mercedes Lackey

May 20, 2009

liked it
Read in May, 2009

Probably 2 1/2 stars, really. It wasn't a bad book, but I've read better of Lackey's. The pacing seemed very wrong - the first 2/3 of the book are describing the social/political structure of Valdemar and the characters' relational problems. The "main" plot is finally introduced about 100 pages before the end, and then hurriedly dealt with. The result is a slow first part of the book, a very gripping last few chapters, and an epilogue that would have been better expanded. Not a bad book, but not Lackey's best either judging from my limited readings of her works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Owlknight.

08/01 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-4 of 4) </span> <span class="smallText">(4 new)</span>

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann Seems you got through this quite quickly... is that a good thing or a bad thing?

message 2: by X (new) - rated it 3 stars

X Hmm... good thing, I'd say. It wasn't anything grand, so I didn't feel compelled to make it last. It was more a "find out how the series ends" read than anything. But it wasn't bad.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann Yeah, I know what you mean. Too bad it wasn't better... that is strange the plot wasn't introduced until the end sections.

message 4: by X (new) - rated it 3 stars

X Yeah, it would have been so much better if there had been more time/pages on what I considered the main theme of the book. It was still good though, it just could have been better.