Debbie's Reviews > Stuck in the Middle

Stuck in the Middle by Virginia Smith

May 18, 09

I couldn’t put my finger on exactly what turned me off of this book. I got maybe a 1/4 of the way through and the characters did not grab me. They seemed very generic and I didn’t really see why Joan and Ken , the handsome new neighbor, fell in love. Joan kind of irritated me because she sounded like a spoiled brat being 25 years old, living at home not paying rent and then constantly accusing her mother of wanting to put her grandmother away in a home without even checking out the assisted living home in town. I would not want to put my parents into a home if they wanted to stay home but Joan’s grandmother seemed lonely and enjoyed visiting her friend at this assisted living home. Everything in this book was just too pat for me. There was no real struggle for the two of them to end up together.

It actually took me almost half the book to realize this was Christian fiction. I first thought Ken was some sort of weird religious fanatic being so focus on mainly a girl’s religious beliefs and not much else. I have to say the only thing I did like about this book was when Joan’s church group started their community services. I think it’s great when people make the effort to really get out into the community and help others.

I know this review isn’t the greatest but like I said I couldn’t exactly put my finger on what I didn’t like about this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuck in the Middle.