Leslie's Reviews > The Age of Innocence

The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton

Nov 02, 09

Read in November, 2009

I am not a novel reader; in general I prefer non-fiction especially biographies. However, the National Library Assoc had noticed that the reading of novels was in decline in our country, and has sponsored the reading of Age Of Innocence and discussion groups,and other activities to stimulate this once again. To this end, our island library was giving free copies of this book, along with a study guide, had a speaker come and lead a reading group, and presented the film. I can only be in favor of supporting such a quest; the libraries are , to me, the mark of everything that can be right and good in our culture.
THe book itself is, to me, a perfect read. I looked forward to each and every sentence, her sense of humor and sarcasm, the detailed description of the times in a physical, social, and interpersonal sense . High society in the late 1800's which can seem like a distant place to visit, but she brings the inner workings of the characters to the fore, and this is timeless. I was most impressed with her understanding of the thought process behind seemingly simple actions, especially from the male point of view. It seems that each word is so carefully employed ; a really flawless and thoughtful read.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Innocence.