babyhippoface's Reviews > The Kind of Friends We Used To Be

282057
May 28, 09

bookshelves: kids-fiction
Read in May, 2009

One of my favorite things about this book was the way Rhetta's parents were portrayed. Reverend and Mrs. Mayes were kind, loving, accepting, and fun. You don't often see that kind of portrayal of Christians in literature these days. It was nice. My favorite quote from the book came from Rhetta's dad, speaking to Marylin, who is embarrassed by the fact that her parents are divorced: "Everybody's broken, sweetie. God helps us get put back together." Excellent.

I like Frances O'Roark Dowell more and more all the time. Shooting the Moon was terrific, and now this. I confess, I haven't read The Secret Language of Girls, and maybe I should go back and read it now, but my opinion will be marred by the fact that I already know Flannery and Marylin treated Kate like garbage for a while. But I enjoyed getting to know these characters. All of them. And Dowell reminded me to know better than to pre-judge those kids dressed in black with dark eyeliner and clunky boots. There just might be a Kate in there, for all I know.

Terrific read for middle school girls.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kind of Friends We Used To Be.